New European standard for childcare furniture published
A new European standard for Cribs and cradles has been published:
BS EN 1130: 2019 Children’s furniture. Cribs. Safety requirements and test methods.
This standard replaces the previous two part 1996 version of the standard, and contains significant changes including:
- Changes to the document structure to reflect the hazard-based approach used in other childcare standards
- Update of the test methods from the previous version (including some additions)
- The introduction of requirements and test methods for suspended cribs and bedside sleepers
- The addition of requirements for chemical and thermal hazards
- The addition of a Rationale in an informative annex, explaining the risks that have been addressed in the document
It should be noted that the UK did not support the introduction of this standard, as it was felt that not all the risks presented by bedside sleepers had been fully addressed.
For more information contact FIRA on 01438 777700 or email email@example.com