Archived News Article
FIRA compliance scheme sees Alstons attain ‘Certified Company’ status
Essex-based upholstery manufacturers, Alstons, are the most recent organisation to become a ‘Certified Company’ under the Furniture Industry Research Association’s ‘Compliance Scheme for the Fire Performance of Upholstered Furniture’.
Alstons, who can trace their heritage back to 1850, achieved Certified Status after passing an independent audit, showing they have suitable processes and procedures in place to demonstrate due diligence compliance with the Furniture & Furnishings (Fire) (Safety) Regulations (FFFSR). The in-depth audit included assessing:
- Control of raw materials used in production
- Evidence of traceability of materials throughout the production process
- Demonstration of how final batch numbers relate to materials used in production
- Evidence of a testing programme to monitor and measure compliance of products
- Evidence of test reports to show compliance with FFFSR requirements
- Evidence of an effective product crisis procedure
- Evidence of a corrective action procedure
Speaking on their new Certified Status, Philip Grindrod, Managing Director, at Alstons said “It was key for us to be part of the ‘Compliance Scheme for the Fire Performance of Upholstered Furniture’ as it enables us to demonstrate to our stockists that Alstons have as strong focus on compliance and due diligence.
“The auditor’s analysis of our processes and procedures throughout our entire production process was very in-depth, and passing the audit was a real achievement for the whole team.
“Although we are not members of the Furniture Industry Research Association it’s very positive that their Compliance Scheme is open to all as this allows everyone from across the upholstery sector to benefit and, ultimately, improve safety for consumers."
Full details on the Compliance Scheme for the Fire Performance of Upholstered Furniture are available from www.fira.co.uk/compliance
Organisations interested in becoming a Certified Company should contact FIRA on email@example.com or call +44 (0)1438 777 700.