Compliance Scheme for the Fire Performance of Upholstered Furniture
About the scheme
The Furniture Industry Research Association’s ‘Compliance Scheme for the Fire Performance of Upholstered Furniture’ aims to offer reassurance that a manufacturer, retailer, upholsterer or supplier of upholstered furniture has suitable processes and procedures in place to demonstrate due diligence compliance with the UK's Furniture & Furnishings (Fire) (Safety) Regulations (FFFSR).
The Research Association has entered into a Primary Authority Co-ordinated Partnership with Hertfordshire Trading Standards. This means that Certified Companies, as participants of the scheme, will be part of a regulated group and benefit from Assured Advice from Trading Standards.
In order to become a Certified Company and show that your organisation are committed to ongoing compliance with the UK flammability regulations, you will need to undergo a thorough audit, carried out by FIRA International (who are the commercial partner of the Furniture Industry Research Association). This audit will assess how well your current processes are in line with the Regulations and may flag up some recommendations required to be fully compliant in order to be accepted into the scheme.
Key points of the scheme include
- It’s a legal requirement to meet the FFFSR, which are enforced by Trading Standards.
- Advice provided by Hertfordshire Trading Standards may be relied upon as ‘Assured Advice’ and will be respected by other regulatory enforcement bodies, which will prevent inconsistent interpretation of the FFFSR.
- Scheme is open to manufacturers, retailers and upholsterers of any size.
- Upholstered products covered include chairs, sofas, stools, floor and scatter cushions, materials and upholstery itself which may be sold separately, or used for re-covering.
- The scheme is not intended to cover garden or outdoor furniture, upholstered beds, bed frames, headboards or mattresses.
- No special requirements/criteria to join the scheme, however you must complete the required audit.
- View FAQ’s on the scheme
- View our information leaflet on the scheme
- View Certified Companies of the Compliance Scheme
- How to join the compliance scheme
Interested in becoming a certified company?
Call us on +44 (0)1438 777 700Email us