Archived News Article
Second template released for members: Risk Assessment for furniture products
The latest business support template is now available to members of the Furniture Industry Research Association: Risk Assessment for furniture products.
The resource includes a support document and an editable Excel risk assessment template. These have been developed by Bruce Lovell, Consultant at FIRA International (the service provider to the Research Association).
The requirement for an ‘adequate analysis and assessment of the risk(s)’ requires the manufacturer to first identify all the possible risks of the product and determine the essential requirements that are applicable. This analysis has to be documented and included in the technical file.
The support document supports members through nine steps:
- Step 1: Describe the product and its hazard
- Step 2: Identify the type of consumer you want to include in your injury scenario with the furniture product
- Step 3: Describe an injury scenario in which the hazards cause an injury or negative health effect to the consumer
- Step 4: Determine the probability of the consumer being injured by the hazard
- Step 5: The injuries that hazards cause to the consumer have different degrees of severity
- Step 6: Determine the risk level
- Step 7: Check the risk level is plausible
- Step 8: Develop several injury scenarios to identify the highest risk of the product
- Step 9: Document in template and pass on your risk assessment
As a reminder, the first template in the new series focuses on a 'Sharps and Broken Needle Procedure'.
Future templates which will be available shortly include:
- Health and Wellbeing policy
- Sustainability Key Performance Indicator dashboard
- UKTR Supplier Declaration Template & UKTR Risk Assessment / Mitigation Template
- FR Due Diligence Control Spreadsheet
All business support templates are available to FIRA members as part of their membership benefits package. Non-members can purchase the resources via firstname.lastname@example.org