First look at new FIRA International training curriculum
As their move to online learning continues, our service provider, FIRA International has released details of a new suite of training on REACH which gets underway later this month and runs through to April. REACH is the acronym for the European REACH (Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation (& Restriction) of Chemicals) Regulation, which has a big impact on compliance across the furniture industry.
Divided into nine modules, learners can select which REACH course or courses they would like undertake, enabling them to tailor learning to suit their individual needs. The full list of modules comprise:
- Module 1: Introduction to REACH - focusing on REACH and chemical compliance
- Module 2: Annex XVII Chemical Restrictions
- Module 3: Annex XIV Substances of Very High Concern - obligations from the presence of Substances of Very High Concern and how they differ from Annex XVII restrictions
- Module 4: UK Chemicals Regulation post Brexit
- Module 5: Product testing For REACH - compliance obligations and the importance of focused testing
- Module 6: Worldwide chemical legislation - how REACH fits in global chemicals management, with a focus on the USA, China and other regions
- Module 7: Chemicals and CSR - an introduction to workplace exposure to chemicals, cleaning the supply chain and chemicals as part of sustainability
- Module 8: Flame retardant chemicals - current restrictions and testing for flame retardants
- Module 9: Biocidal Products Regulation - how antimicrobial products are used and regulated within the UK/EU
Modules 1-5 run once a month from January to April, modules 6-9 start in February and run monthly through to April. Each module is scheduled for 90 minutes and cost £65+VAT for members of the Furniture Industry Research Association or £80+VAT for non-members. A 25% discount is also available for three modules being booked.
All modules are hosted by John Hubbard, FIRA International’s Technical Consultant. Speaking on the new learning programme he said, “The REACH Regulation has now been in force since 2007 and has shifted the onus for demonstrating the safe use of chemicals onto the chemical suppliers and downstream users. However, the legislation also has important obligations for retailers and suppliers bringing products, including furniture and other household goods, onto the European market.
“There is so much to understand about the Regulation, and in addition we have the added changes which Brexit has thrown into the mix. It seemed most logical therefore to breakdown the Regulation into manageable modules and allow the learner to select where they need to add to their knowledge. I also believe that online learning lends itself better to more manageable modules.
“We may take some learners through the full REACH journey across modules one to nine, or others may choose to simply join us on a specific topic, such as Brexit or product testing. All are welcome and I look forward to helping the furniture industry demystify REACH.”
In addition to the schedule above, Hubbard is also hosting an ‘Introduction to REACH’ webinar on Thursday 14 January, giving a general high level overview of the Regulation.